The Special Rapporteur on the situation for human rights defenders will carry out an official visit to Peru from 21 January to 3 February 2020. The visit will include discussions with Government officials, local authorities, human rights defenders, civil society representatives and other stakeholders about good practices and challenges faced by human rights defenders in the country. A public report on this country visit will be presented to the UN Human Rights Council in March 2021.
You are invited to provide inputs to any of the questions below and to share the questions with other relevant defenders and stakeholders. Responses received will be kept confidential.
- General context: What are the main domestic laws and policies in place affecting the work of human rights defenders? Are there any good examples/challenges in this regard? How are these laws and policies implemented in practice? How well do the businesses respect the work of human rights defenders?
- Issues of concern: What are the main/most urgent issues affecting the work of human rights defenders? How can these be addressed?
- Possible areas to visit, including outside Lima (towns or communities)
- Relevant authorities, organisations and individuals to meet during the visit.
- Other issues or specific questions that the Special Rapporteur should look into/raise with a particular authority? Are there any specific recommendations to consider?
Please send your inputs you may have to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible (in particular in relation to the possible areas to visit) but no later than 27 November 2019. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at the aforementioned email.